Tuesday 18 May 2010

Thoughts on The New Robin Hood


Well I thought I would define my views on the New RH film today as a starter.

I saw it this weekend after hearing much promotion about it - both good and bad.

Firstly let me start off with one of the negatives that came to light - the now infamous R.Crow interview where he walks on the Interviewer- which can be found here. Apart from the Interviewer M.Lawson being negative from the get go, personally I think that Mr Crow had every right to walk out for essentially being abused throughout, even though the "Irish accent" comment was not far from the truth. Sadly as in all today's stories the media has done its worst.

Back to my thoughts - well the film was enjoyable, not as grandstanding as Prince of thieves or the original Hood film. It portrays Robin as lowly archer amongst King Richards forces in France who through deceit and also honour returns to England and becomes the adopted son of Lord Loxely (I am trying not to give too much away). The Film then careers through a lull state of narrative to the point of Action - The Invasion of England by France (a made up act- otherwise there would be at least some form of history regarding the fact.) Which was both the best bit of action footage I have seen for a while that hasn't been CG'd to the 10th, and also the worst - Mr Ridly Scott i think hath doth'ed his hat to Saving Private Ryans now famous Normandy landings, with soldiers on the cliffs and the beach assaulters coming in on landing craft - yet in this case wooden versions of them. Sadly at the time of writing I cannot find a suitable image. I am wondering just how Historically accurate their design is.

Other Members of the cast saw some fine acting by William Hurt as the Marshall, and the Mark Strong as the Devious Godfrey. A solid performance by Cate Blanchette as Lady Marion, However my favourites go to a fantastic Will Scarlett played by Scott Grimes and a Jolly Friar Tuck by Mark Addy.

My thoughts on the accent - well sorry Mr Crow - i do admit in the opening parts of the film your accent does sound a wee bit Irish - but only just noticeably and being honest after this you do not really hear it after, I equate it to sounding similar to Mel Gibsons Braveheart - a worthy effort but not spot on.

So yes - i would definitely go to watch this at the cinema and to me this film does a good effort of bringing one of England's hero's to life along with a successful twisting of any myths surrounding him. Well done Mr Crow for some great acting - I think Ridley Scott did some amazing filmography - but for me it was the other cast, the costumes and the locations that really made this shine.
I for one am glad that it did not become A N Other Gladiator.

Robin Hood is out now in the US and the UK.
For Further Info visit